My Conversation With Jimmy Sarjeant

 


 



Well after a few months off I am back with some more content recently through Instagram because we are still dealing with a pandemic, I had a conversation with a good friend of mine Jimmy Sarjeant who I have known for well over a decade. So, enjoy.

 

First off Jimmy thanks for taking the time to sit down with me through Instagram for this interview it is greatly appreciated.

 

Jimmy: Of course

 

Now for the people that will be reading this once it is posted would you mind explaining how you and I know each other.

 

Jimmy: I’d say that you and I met about 13/14 years ago during the Hurricanes days. You were always a strong supporter of the club and players. You would always offer great encouragement and positivity to us and from there we grew to have a personal relationship and then eventually into an amazing and fun coaching relationship. And now we can proudly say that we are good friends.

 

I appreciate the kind words our time in Newmarket was memorable for sure.... it is hard to believe it has been 13 years. Now of course at some point we will discuss your time in Newmarket but for now I would like to start at the beginning where did your interest in hockey begin?

 

Jimmy: Definitely from my old man. I think he had me watching leaf games from the day I was able to watch. As far back as I can remember, I just loved everything about it. Typical Canadian story, I learned to skate in the backyard rink when I was three years old and once, I played my first game, I was hooked.

 

That is probably a story so many people can relate to for sure. So how old were you when you started playing hockey?

 

Jimmy: Four years old, basically learned to skate at three and then got going the following season

So, as I watched you play in Newmarket you played in goal was goalie always the position you wanted to play?

 

Jimmy: This is always a funny one, I started out as a forward, mostly played center. And then for some strange reason, after tyke, I decided that I wanted to be a goalie. I don’t really know why, I guess I’m a little tapped.

 

you went from wanting to score the big goals to stopping them when you switched to goalie did you feel more comfortable or was there ever a time where you thought maybe you wanted to play out again?

 

Jimmy: I was always comfortable back there, but there were always times when I thought about ‘what could have been’ if I didn’t make the switch

 

You mentioned your dad got you skating when you were young as you were playing hockey, like a lot of kids growing up their dad is coach of their team. Was this the case with your dad?

 

Jimmy: It was. He coached me during timbits and tyke. As I got older and into AAA, he was the team manager for a few years. Good man, my dad.

 

Yeah, that's for sure your dad is a great guy it was always fun catching up with him around the rinks for sure. So how long did you play minor hockey for? because Elite Prospects only has one season listed.

 

Jimmy: I played AAA, for YSE, from Novice to Midget, nine years.

 

what was your experience like with the Express being there for 9 years?

 

Jimmy: It was good, I was lucky enough to play for my home centre for every season, not many guys get to do that. I made a lot of good memories and friends during those years.

 

When you were a member of the express did you by chance play against anyone that kids and hockey fans that read this interview may find interesting?

Jimmy: Stamkos, Pietrangelo would be the big names. There are other NHL players too, but those are the big names. Michael Hutchinson too.

 

Really? Stamkos and Pietrangelo....were there glimpses of their abilities back then like we are seeing today at the professional ranks?

 

Jimmy: Yeah, they were both elite from a young age. There was no question that they would be elite show guys

 

Now after your time with York Simcoe you went on to play Junior C with the Georgina Ice how did this opportunity come about and was the transition from Triple A to Junior tough or no?

 

Jimmy: That’s a long story let’s just say Steve Sedore who would be an assistant coach in Newmarket recruited me and no the transition was not difficult. It was a bigger adjustment from Jr. C to Jr. A

 

Well then, we will jump into the Hurricanes days where you played for Brian Perrin when you joined the Hurricanes how were you feeling going into your first game you mentioned it was a big adjustment going from Jr C to A were you nervous your first game or was it business as usual for you?

 

Jimmy: My first game in Jr. A, I was a call up from Jr. C. I was definitely nervous, but the boys did a great job in front, and I only got like 15 shots. We slapped Villanova 7-0. Definitely wasn't business as usual, I used to get too worked up before games back then, so I was definitely shaking in warmup.

 

I said business as usual because for as long as I've known you to me you've always had a mindset like it's just another game lets go play.

 

Jimmy: I didn't quite develop that mindset at that point. When I got my feet wet with the Hurricanes, that's when I adopted that mindset. Lots of maturing needed during those early days.

 

 

So, in the 08-09 season with Newmarket, I remember watching as a fan then you were backing up Jason Guy if I am not mistaken and even made an appearance in the post season after that season ended was your mind set on becoming the team’s starter the following season?

 

Jimmy: My mindset was to be the starter during that 08-09 season and then Jason Guy came in halfway through the season and I was relegated to the backup role. I have always had a starters mindset. If you don't have that mindset, you won't last long.

 

fair enough well as I said watching you that season as a fan, I remember leaving the rink telling anyone that was around that we, The Newmarket Hurricanes were going to be just fine in goal. So, the following season the Hurricanes won the league title were the signs there from the beginning that your team was going to do something special that season? because again as a fan that entire season for me was a blast from start to finish

 

Jimmy: I think so. We had a tight group from the beginning. We all liked each other, which was quite different from the season prior. There was more of a brotherhood, and we had a lot of skill. There were also some tragic events throughout the year to two guys and their families that also helped to create a stronger bond within our group.

 

things like that can prove how a hockey team can act like a family in many ways. So, throughout your playoff run in the first round you would get by St Mike's in 5 games and then meet Hamilton and Zach Hyman in the next round Newmarket would sweep Hamilton, but I think the majority of the games were decided in overtime what did Hamilton do differently then St Mikes? For me that series was an intense one.

 

Jimmy: Joe, that happened over eleven years ago. I don't have that good of a memory to be doing game break downs. But from what I can remember, Hamilton had more skill than St. Mikes. St. Mikes was a one-line team, Hamilton had much more depth. We just had the clutch gene against the Hammer, chalk it up to better team defence. Better fans in Newmarket too,


Better fans for sure, so after your time in Newmarket finished up the 10-11 season you would go on to the NCAA ranks and play for Mercyhurst where you would go on and be nominated for the Hobey Baker award

 

was it a difficult transition going from Junior to the college level?

Jimmy: Big time. That was the biggest jump. I also got hurt during fitness testing in my freshman year. I had to get knee surgery and I wasn't able to be healthy to play until American Thanksgiving. That was a big challenge for me physically and mentally.

I saw the biggest improvement in my game from freshman to sophomore year though. It is good hockey down there.

 

and of course, the Hobey Baker nomination has to be a highlight no doubt?

 

Jimmy: Most definitely but I think my family was more pumped about that than I was

 

well Jimmy I don't want to take up too much of your time this interview has hit the two-hour mark, so I have a few more questions if that's alright? Our paths would cross once again this time as coaches for the Aurora Tigers...was coaching always something you wanted to get into after playing?

 

Jimmy: I started goalie coaching when I was about 14 years old, so I developed that skill at an early age, and I always enjoyed it. I felt that being on the ice, in any way, was a great opportunity. So, when I eventually stopped playing, it was a seamless transition.

 

We would join former teammate PJ Buys and coach Minor Bantmam for the Express and from the bench watch those kids win their first OMHA Championship how would you describe that season and playoff run?

 

Jimmy:  Great group, from the kids, parents, siblings etc. That will be one of my most memorable hockey experiences. Being able to help those young men reach and obtain an extremely challenging feat was very gratifying. I’m grateful to have had that opportunity to coach those kids.

 

My last question for you again thanks for doing this for me but to anyone that wants to get into hockey do you have any words of advice or encouragement for them when they read this interview?

 

Jimmy: If you love the game enough, you'll find a place within it. Not everyone can play, but you can find a way through coaching, through the business side, through training or volunteering with your local league. There's always room for good people who love and care about hockey and the people involved.

That is great Jimmy, now the floor is yours if there is anything you would like to plug if you are still goalie coaching or anything like that feel free.

 

Jimmy: Come watch the YSE 06’s. No self promotion needed. Thanks Joe.

 

Well Jimmy I can't wait to join you once again with YSE and the 06 group thanks so much for taking the time to do this interview it's greatly appreciated.

 

Jimmy: No Problem sir

 

 

 

Well, I hope you guys enjoyed the interview it is definitely good to be back blogging I will be back to talk about the player Seattle selects from Toronto in the expansion draft which will be followed up by me discussing what the Leafs do at the entry draft and in Free Agency. Coffee will be needed for sure because with the Tokyo Olympics starting in the coming days and me being the crazy sports fan that I am I will be up very early in the morning to watch and cheer on our Canadian Olympians.


Comments

  1. Great interview. I watched Jimmy back in the Newmarket Days! I thought he was great in net . So much so I bought his Jersey!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts